Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My grandma is the best!


My grandma bought me a new cake book. It is by Wiltons and give instructions on cake decorating. I just had to play with some frosting to see what I could do. I bake cakes for all kinds of stuff, but I only make the inside good. I can make any flavor and then I frost it and it doesn't look as good as it taste. I'm working on this, that way I can make them pretty and maybe sell some. My girlfriend wants me to do her wedding cake in July. I told I wasn't going there yet, but weddings are where the money is. I baked up a cake and whipped up some butter cream for frosting. I decided I should make the cake for grandma. We al missed her birthday. We were supposed to celebrate when she returned from her cruise. Well, she returned the day before Chad died and the celebration was canceled. She turned 70, going on 50 I swear hope I age just like her. I didn't make a big enough batch of icing for the double layer cake I made. Instead of making another batch I decided to use the strawberry cream cheese frosting I had left over. My grandma loves strawberries, thought it would be like chocolate covered strawberry in reverse. I frosted the middle and top with the strawberry. Then I realized how hard it would be to frost the sides. If you ever frosted a cake you know the sides done by sliding frosting from the top down the side. I almost totaled the cake trying to get the sides. The frosting isn't as thick on the side as it should be and you can see some of the cake. So, that part didn't turn out the way I would have liked. I was glad however to make the side look somewhat normal. Then I had fun playing with tips. I am taking the cake to grandma today. This way she gets birthday cake a big thank you for the book and she wont feel like she is celebrating. She is having nightmares since Chad died and me and Natasha like to go keep her busy. So, here it is my first decorated cake thanks to grandma.

11 Comments:

Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Nice looking cake. It sounds delicious too. The best I could do is the ready mix brownies so this is impressive to me. What a nice thing to do for grandma! I'm sure she'll love it.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You're so sweet! I think cake decorating is so cool, I would LOVE to learn. But then again I'm scared I'd eat them all up. Very pretty cake Mari!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Did you know cake is my favorite food. I love cake more than anything, atleast most of the time. I must be starving, because you got my mouth watering. I better go eat.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mari, your Grandmother is very lucky to have you in her life, and you should feel very proud of your culinary accomplishments.

As for the doctors assessment, of course we're all here for you, and we hope you are perfectly alright.

GOOD LUCK Mari. I am thinking of you as write this and wishing you well :-).

Matt

10:14 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Can I just say that I think you're the sweeeeeetest person???!!! You really are a good human, Mari.

The cake looks beautiful (and delicious) and I'm sure your grandmother will be very touched by your gift and love.

xo, Rachel

12:27 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Give Grandma a hug for me! ( sorry 'bout the bad dreams..:(
My Gramma just turned 89 on March the 2nd & I wanna be just like her "when I grow up" too~!

Love the cake!! YUM!~

8:21 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hey, I'm new here but stumbled across your blog and saw that you were from MA, and that's where I live. I can see where you'd miss the beaches, I just love the ocean. Great looking cake! I love cake and can't make them too often of else I'd eat them all!

5:43 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hey Mari, I live in Fitchburg, about an hour NW of Boston. I started running for fitness, but then I started really enjoying it. I had a few injuries here and there and that kind of sidelines me, but other than that, it's been great. Hopefully it'll warm up soon and I'll be able to take it outside soon. My leg is feeling better today, thanks for asking.

7:02 AM  
Blogger carolakabb said...

ok, it's friday... thinking of you. Hugs, C.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

That cake is amazing - I cant bake cakes if my life depends on it!!

2:57 AM  
Blogger carolakabb said...

ok, it's monday w/ no update. I hope you are ok. Hugs, C.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home