Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Vacation...


Hi, I have a moment so thought I would do a quick update. It has been a long trip already and we still have a few more days. Natasha has been kind of sick for 4 days now. Today I am beyond tired and yesterday my stomach ache kicked in. We are having fun for the most part. Just gets hard with an almost 2 year old and being house guests. Natasha seems to be having fun in spite of being a little sick. I did cancel our planed trip to the beach yesterday for fear of her dehydration.

The race on Sunday was lots of fun. The night before was not so much fun. I had to meet up with my friend who was giving me a number to run. She had some last minute things to do so I ended up meeting her a few towns over at 8:30pm. I had Natasha and my sister with me so by the time Natasha got some dinner it was getting late. I needed to eat myself and get her to bed. By the time we got back in town Natasha was crying to go to bed, it was 10:30pm by the time I got her there. I was afraid to skip dinner the night before the race so I ate late. Got my clothes together and map to the race. I got everything together I would need the next morning. By this time it was getting late. Natasha wasn't feeling good and my mom wasn't either. This meant they were staying home in the morning I had to get myself to Woods Hole and get to the shuttle to get to the start. When I was given the number I was informed I was an official volunteer working at the start. That sounded very cool to me...but meant I had to get there a little early. I ended up getting to bed at 1:30am. Not good at all. I woke up at 5:45 got dressed grabbed all my stuff and headed out. I ate on the road and made to the cape through 4 roundabout without getting lost. I deserve a gold medal for that. I made way on the 1 mile walk to the shuttle to the start stood in the Porto potty line and found a bus. The tiredness was setting in and at this point I wished I brought my banana with me. I got to the start and did some people traffic control and helped a sick girl get to her parents. That held me up enough to prevent me from getting a chance to warm up and stretch. The wheel chair racer left first. I got to help bring down the last group to be let off at the start. It was pretty cool. Unfortunately I was hungry and thirsty by now. My group was set to be released at 10:24, four hour since I ate breakfast. We all walked the group to the start and waited for our gun. We removed our official volunteer shirts and joined the group. Being in the last group meant I had to work my way around people the entire time. The race was crowded and the amount of people around never let through the entire 7 miles. I made sure I ate a few orange slices along the way. For a race this short I would normally skip the water stations but did grab water at least 4 times. I thought I would need since I was starting in rough shape. It was a hot sunny day and all along the beach it felt like the sun wouldn't let up. One of the hills put me in slow motion. Overall I was surprised how good I felt. I had fun and slapped hands with the kids along the way. Some groups of spectators had music and hoses to help us along the way. The fnish line was fun. I clocked myself at 55 minutes. This was very awesome and can not help wonder how well I could have done. If only was rested and fluid to go from the start. I went from the finish line to the snack and had the best pop-sickle of my life. Lime fruit bar by Bryers, I highly recommend it. In the end I am surprised I don't feel soar. I do have some sun on my nose and checks. My hamstring are little tight overall I feel good. It was fun. If I had run under my own name I would have qualified for a spot closer to the star next year and Boston.


I keep having issues with my blogger hope this comes up OK. I had to start some of the text over. Then the bottom was on the top. Hope my post comes out.

6 Comments:

Blogger KatieFeldmom said...

Congrats on the run.
I'm so proud of you.
Hope Natasha feels better soon.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto. I hope your daughter is okay soon, and WELL DONE on the race.

You might feel you could have done better, but trust me, you achieved something awesome.

You have a right to be thoroughly proud of yourself Mari, you are proving to people, the true extent of your athletic potential and ability, which is amazing.

Keep up the hard work, you are doing fantastically, and your daughter has a brilliant rolemodel to look up to.

:-) :-) :-).

Matt

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Yum, I love those lime fruit popsicles! Perfect way to end a hot race.

Sorry to hear Natasha is sick.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Janel said...

Good Job Mari!!!!!! You did so awesome!!!! I loved your recap!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Hope everyone is feelin better soon & CONGRATS on the run..damn Girl ... I'd have just rolled over & gone back to bed for sure! So YAY you !

1:47 PM  
Blogger chantal2bfit said...

Great job on the run! Congrats! Damn you're fast!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home