Monday, April 03, 2006

Let it go...

I think I needed a mental brake. I was doing my challenge and I held off a lot the week of all my tests. I didn't know what was going on and didn't feel all that good. That was fine I was OK with that. Then the next week I struggled to eat clean and didn't get to the gym till Thursday. It made it even worse when I thought about the fact that it was the last week of the challenge. The mental brake came when my challenge ended. I decided to keep up with my meals and workouts. I have been lifting heavy for upper body still that hasn't changed. My legs were feeling huge from my gianormis muscles. Yes, I now there is fat there too. For legs I am sticking to the classes, like strong. We go to failure with high reps. I tried a new class total conditioning. It was great it is high endurance with weights for 70 min. I loved it!! The other new class I went to was 50/50. This is also cardio and weights but incorporated differently and only 60 min. It was good but after jumping rope and jumping on the step I could feel my shins. They have been doing good but when I work on the balls of my feet it really hits them. I noticed this also after I did a kick boxing class. The boxer shuffle did me in. I am going to avoid the workouts that keep me on my toes and hope that running doesn't bring them back. I have only been running two to three times a week and only for 4 to 7 miles at a time. Most of my cardio is done in cycle class. Today I did the 60 min. cycle followed by a 2.5 mile run. It was great and felt like I could have run further but I had to run the treadmill, boring. The sun was out then too I would have loved to run outside, but I had Natasha so had to run at the gym.
The point of all this was letting go of all the pressure I was putting on myself really set me free. My diet is great and workouts are a blast. I also finally found a race for the weekdays. I like to do road races but working every weekend makes it very difficult. The one I am running is a 5K May 3rd. It is one I also did last year. This was the first road race I did since I started running regularly. I was over half way through my first BFL challenge at the time. My goal for this race is to beat my time and to beat Linda (my work partner). She also ran it last year and has been running since. I think Linda is up to a 7 min. mile she gets going pretty fast. I got a pull up bar over a month ago, I love it. You should get one it's fun.


10 Comments:

Blogger carolakabb said...

oh sure, pull up's look fun when YOU do them... the only thing fun about me doing it would be my children rolling around on the floor laughing themselves to death...

5:08 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Pull ups, arrgghh! I did them at the gym yesterday but with one of those assisted machines. I do have a pull up bar at home, and I should practice doing them, thanks for reminding me. A seven minute mile??? That's pretty impressive. I think someone would have to be chasing me to run that fast.

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mari, you look amazing. As for the bar, you can utilise some great variations with that one.

1. Regular Pull-ups, Palms Supinated, (facing upwards), I think you're doing those in the pic.

2. Reverse style Pull-ups, Palms Pronated, (facing downwards).

3. Behind The Neck Pull-ups, where you have a wide regular grip, and when you pull yourself up, the bar should end up just above your Spine, at the base of the Neck.

This one is good for things Like Trapezius, Rear Delt, (Posterior), and possibly Lats to a small extent, and the Middle Delt, (Anterior).

Not everyone is successful with the last one, but they may work, and you might be able to do Leg raises with the bar too.

Anyway, keep up the hard work, and feel proud, you're doing great, and looking wonderful as a result.

Matt

6:11 AM  
Blogger chantal2bfit said...

I think I will have to master the assisted pull-up machines at the gym before I buy one of those. Cool pic though, and I love the tattoo!

Girl, you are impressive with the running. 7 minute mile! That is fast! Good luck on your race!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

I didn't just start doing them I worked my way up. If my arms are tapped out I can't do it. I just hang there. Yes carol Natasha finds this funny.

Matt I do all of those except the behind the neck. I just tried it. I like that one it was hard I did a half one.

Chantal, that is where I started. Once you can do a few with little assistance try one pull up. You may surprise yourself.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Cool pic! Look at that back, and tiny waist! :) Yeah, 7min mile, wowzers. Good luck on the 5k! I wish we lived closer, I think you'd really push me. I wish I could do pull-ups....sigh.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mari, that's awesome about the Neck exercise, even if you did do half a one.

It used to be an occasional party piece of mine, racking out around 10-12.

I've seen guys way bigger than me, or with more stamina, do about 2-3, but I can't explain why that is.

I don't do them anymore, just because of how my schedule has changed.

I reckon with more time you'll get at least one, possibly make it a challenge :-).

Anyway, keep up the hard work in all aspects of life, and good luck :-).

Matt

2:01 PM  
Blogger Wolfie said...

WE all need those breaks girl...don't worry about it, and certainly don't feel apologetic about it! Do this the way that it works for YOU!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I've told you before you're my hero on the whole pull-up deal. I've got 11 days left of my challenge and it just ain't happening. I didn't get into the gym enough with this challenge.

I used to live at a rock climbing gym - my pre-mommy days - and the guys there were always telling me to build up to a pull up by holding the pull-up for as long as possible and slowly lower myself. Now I'm on the assisted at the gym all the time. I just can't get it. Must lose more weight, then there'll be less to move.

Laurie

7:40 PM  
Blogger FV Tom said...

:)

Hi Mari - things are looking pretty good!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home