Sunday, October 23, 2005

1/2 marathon woohooo!!!!!


The race was so much fun. I went into Detroit with Danny and we meet up with Linda (I work with her and got her running).Linda came with her husband and her two girls, babycakes was still in bed. We all made are way to the starting line and lined up at the porto potty. The line was long lots of lines in front of everyone. We herd the national anthem and the release of the wheel chairs. Still waiting in line. Then they had the marathoners and 1/2 marathoners line up. We are still in line for the darn porto potty. They count down the minutes to the start of our race,but we are still in line at the dame porto potty. They get the air horn ready 20 sec. Till we start. So the horn goes off and am squatting over the dame proto potty. How is that for a start? We run out of the proto potty get whip off our warm layers and head for the start. Well with 10,000 runners we did not miss much and there were plenty of people still lined up trying to get over the starting line. It was dark when w started at 7:35 this morning. The huge group of people made it hard to find my pace. On the way over the Ambassador bridge was breath taking and the sun was coming up it was beautiful you could see both sky line the building off the city and hills on the other side. After getting over the bridge Linda caught up with me (she is good at hills). I stuck with her following her through Canada we were keeping the same pace with a little group and it kept me going. My shin pain was not so good this morning and it did not stop till we were over the bridge around mile 4. We stuck together the rest of the time and decided it would finish together. It was all adrenaline after mile 12. Running into Ford Field was awesome. The ramp in was steep no wonder the football players barrel in there. The finish line was at the 50 yard line. We did it in an awesome time for both of us, in under 1 hour and 50 min. Then we watched the winner of the full marathon come in 2:14 for him braking the record from 1980. We all got finisher medals I did not know we would get anything so that was awesome. Overall awesome experience and the rain held out for us temp was good too. Now I am beat a little soar, we are hanging in today watching some football and eating nachos.
So who is up for Disney Marathon 2007. We get a Mickey medal :)
http://disneyworldsports.disney.go.com/dwws/en_US/marathon/listing?name=Marathon2005EventListingPage

In the picture I am the red blur on the left :) It is fun Janel you will love your 10k!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Nice job, that time is so fast. You seem to be quite the runner.

I've done a couple 10k's and was always right around 1 hour. Each time I finished I was so thankful that I wasn't doing the 1/2 marathon. When I crossed the 10k finish line and people kept running past, I felt so bad for them.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Janel said...

WOW WOW WOW I am so glad you shared that! It totally pumps me up!!! You look awesome at the finish line.. look at that stride!!! WAY TO GO!!! That is such a long way, But I hope someday to follow your example. I have NEVER been a good runner so a 10K for me is huge.I want to be like you when I grow up! Hahaha. Very Cool!

7:15 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Steve and Janel you will like the 10k gives a little more of a challenge then a 5k. I did one in June. I started getting into the races in May. May I did 5k then the 10 and now the 1/2 marathon.

Kim I just try to run on the grass insted of the sidewalk as much as I can. The treadmill is also more forgiving then the road but boaring as hell. Also cross training I have shin problems so I do a lot of spin classes to keep my cardio endurance up.

Thank you everyone for all the support.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home